VOICEROID is a speech synthesizer program created by AH-Software Co. Ltd. and released in December 2009. The name is derived from "VOCALOID". However, while VOCALOID is meant for singing, VOICEROID is meant for speaking. The follow up version of VOICEROID is VOICEROID+ which released in October 2010. The final version of the original VOICEROID engine was VOICEROID+ EX which was an upgrade to the VOICEROID+ engine released in October 2014.
The user is able to adjust the tempo, pitch, and intonation to make the program sound more natural. VOICEROID enables the user to type in any word or phrase and Shouta and Ai Tsukuyomi will repeat it back to them.  All VOICEROID products will be packaged with the animating software, Crazy Talk SE.
VOICEROID+ has slight improvements over the original but otherwise functions the same. The interface is slightly different and the capabilities have been expanded.
VOICEROID+ EX new features
The list of new features in VOICEROID+ EX as described by AH Soft-
- The updated libraries will have a more realistic and livelier tone
- There is a software dictionary included, so it is possible to have the libraries pronounce a word to the user's preference
- It is now possible to toggle if the character image is displayed
- It is now possible to toggle effects on and off
- It is now possible to have the libraries speak in a questioning tone by adding a question mark ? at the end of a sentence (excluding Tsukuyomi Ai and Shouta , and Yoshida-kun)
- The reading of the entered text can be timed
- Added compatibility for Windows 8 and 8.1
- OS: Windows 7 (32/64 bit)
- CPU: Intel Pentium 4
- HDD: 1GB or more
- RAM: 512M (1GB recommended)
- Display: 1024 × 768, 16 bit or higher (full color recommended)
- Other: Sound card, internet connection (activation)
- PC must be in Japanese interface
- Though originally geared towards speaking, with audio tuning software it is possible for the VOICEROIDs to be allowed to sing. Beyond this, the only other music value the VOICEROIDs have is Rap.
- All VOICEROID and VOCALOID packages from AH-Software were originally banned from KAREN-T and Piapro, since AH-Software had never granted permission for their use with the sites services. However, while permission was later granted to all VOCALOIDs, the ban on VOICEROIDs has never been lifted from the Web sites.
- Despite being part of the VOICEROID+ series, Kotonoha Akane & Aoi share the same features as those in the VOICEROID+ EX series.